Friday, February 1, 2008

The future of music distribution

So I just excitedly bought my first album from Amazon.com's new digital download music store: L.S.G's 'Into the Deep'- an album i have been hard pressed to find in recent years. But here is the kicker- I bought it for $0.99.
It's a fairly high quality mp3. The only complaint i have is that it is not segmented by track- it is a single continous mp3.
Ever since around 2000 I've been saying that the only way we will be able to reach a new (legal) paradigm in music distribution is by selling albums for around $1. In most cases the artists makes about the same amount of money as in the old paradigm because now there are little to no middlemen along the way taking part of the profit. Everyone wins, the artis sells more copies of their albums, and consumers get 10x the amount of music for their money.
I'm really happy to see this finally happen.

In other news, I've been updating my Internets, but mostly through a livejournal account. I want to transition my posts over to this account so that it has more exposure. Thanks for reading (anybody?)

No comments: